Update: Since the original publish date of this article, Ubisoft’s policy regarding video and streaming has evolved to accommodate current trends. While we’ve made this policy available here, we realize that having an outdated article on the Blog might be confusing, so we’ve updated it with the most recent information and will continue to update it as necessary. Please find the most recent policy below:
Using the guidelines below, we encourage you to make creative and dynamic works walkthroughs, Let’s Play, Speedruns, reviews, etc. using Ubisoft game content, and publish to your website, YouTube or similar digital services.
- Do not take assets from our games (e.g. voice, music, items) and distribute them separately.
- Unless you have explicit permission from us, the upload of gameplay assets in advance of the game’s official release date, may result in Ubisoft blocking your content.
- You are free to monetize your videos via the YouTube partner program and similar programs on other video sharing sites, unless your videos happen to include copyrighted music that is identified in YouTube’s Content ID system or similar technology on any other site. If you upload a video, you may receive notification stating that the video has been claimed, and therefore monetized, by a music company and additionally, advertisements may appear within or around your video. In most cases, your video will not be blocked and these notifications are only meant to inform you that another entity has wholly monetized this content within the system. Please do not dispute these claims unless you have a direct license from the claim owner. Any other use of our content in videos must be non-commercial.
- If your YouTube channel is under an agreement with a Multi-Channel Network (MCN) where the MCN is monetizing on your behalf, please contact the MCN or the music claim owner to ensure that your MCN has an agreement with the music company.
- Do not charge users to view or access your videos.
- Do not sell or license your videos to others for a payment of any kind.
- Be cool. Absolutely no racist, sexist, homophobic, or offensive content. We reserve the right to remove content we find objectionable, for any reason, on a case by case basis.
- Please keep your videos focused on our games, and away from overtly controversial topics.
- This Policy applies solely to Ubisoft footage. If music owned by third parties (including the popular music in our games) or other non-Ubisoft content is included in your video, you will need to secure the content owner’s permission independently.
- This Policy is meant to allow you to create videos that include your creative spin on our owned content. Therefore simple duplication of our official trailers, TV ads and non-dynamic in-game footage is not in keeping with the spirit of this policy, not authorized and will likely result in the removal of your content. This policy is intended to help foster community and creative expression. Simply duplicating content does neither. You’re better than that.
- Finally, this Policy is not meant to allow you to upload our full game, or even a majority of it to your website. Again, that’s not creative expression, that is bootlegging. We reserve the right to remove content that is only reproducing our games, in whole or in part, on a case by case basis.
Failure to abide by these content guidelines may result in Ubisoft taking action to have your video removed. Ubisoft also reserves the right to change these policies, at any time and for any reason. We will post a notification on the policy page and such change will go into effect within fifteen (15) days.
Remember, we do not want to police video upload communities. We prefer to focus our efforts on creating games.
Lastly, we are not staffed to respond to requests for individual video copyright clearance, so please do not write to us and ask. Should anyone require proof of permission, point them to this policy instead. It is posted here (https://www.ubisoft.com/videopolicy/).
If you have questions that fall outside of the guidelines listed above, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Thank you to all the content creators out there. We appreciate your creative work and we will continue to support your efforts.